Saint John of God Hospitaller Services provides both residential and community-based mental health services, and services for children with a disability and/or special needs in the cities of Mzuzu, Lilongwe and their environs. This is done through inpatient, outpatient and community based mental health programs; rehabilitation and vocational training for people recuperating from mental illness, people with disability and other special needs; special education and community based rehabilitation for children with disability or epilepsy. The service also provides university level training in psychiatric nursing, general nursing, clinical medicine (psychiatry) and counselling.
Place of Assignment : Mzuzu Service
Reports to : The Programs Manager
Responsible to : The Chief Executive Officer
Purpose of the Position
Under the general supervision of the Program Manager, the pastoral carer Coordinator will be responsible for leadership of the pastoral care team and also providing pastoral care services to clients and staff availing of our services in Mzuzu
Responsibilities (which include, but not limited to);
- Coordinating the pastoral care department and its members.
- Assessing clients including their families’ spiritual needs.
- Assist clients and families in using their faith in dealing with illness, trauma, and stress or disability;
- Provide accompaniment to individuals and groups concerning their spiritual, emotional, and other special needs.
- Attending and participating in multidimensional/clinical meetings at our House of Hospitality, Centre for Living, Institute of Vocational Training and Child Development centre.
- Provide group pastoral sessions to clients at our Centre for Living, Institute of Vocational Training, Elderly Centres, Child Development centre and Umoza.
- Provide crisis intervention as necessary in situation like spiritual dilemmas, suicide, hopelessness and other desperate situations for clients.
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Theology/ Religious Studies.
- Those with Diploma/Certificate in Clinical Pastoral Education will have added advantage
- Excellent Knowledge of the Catholic social teaching and values.
- Willingness to work with people with mental health illness and their families.
- Strict adherence to our Child and Vulnerable Adult Protection Policy
Interested candidates meeting the above named requirements should send their application letters with Curriculum Vitae stating at least three traceable referees with email addresses and mobile phone numbers to:
The Chief Executive Officer
Saint John of God Hospitaller Services
P.O Box 744
Fax: 01 311 213
Closing date: Tuesday, 7th January 2020